May 31, 2011

My "Scrapbook Notebook"

If you recall, I mentioned that I had a notebook that was a similar concept with the *smash* book from K& Co.  So I pulled it out and I really was not inspired by the cover.  I had it covered, but it was from over 5 years ago and the colors were faded, and it had no real style.  This was one of my first notebooks I ever altered, so it was a bit on the boring side.  So I decide to re-cover my notebook to be more inspiring.  So here is what I came up with.
 
 I tried to make a video tutorial on this, but I had editing issues and I couldn't save it...so I'm sorry I couldn't share how I altered this in a video tutorial.  But is really is easy.  Here are my tips:
1. Use cardstock as the primary cover - it is sturdier and will survive better through use.
2. Use products/colors that you love - but try to keep it as flat as possible so it does not get damaged through use.  Rub ons, stamps, and stickers work great.
3. Use products that inspire you if this is going to be an inspirational book for you.
4. Use both sticky strip and Mono multi purpose glue on the edges to ensure it will stick.

The products I used feature my favorites.  This yellow designer paper is from Basic Grey's Origins line - my favorite that I purchased last year.  Then the teal colored paper is one of my current favorite shades of blue.  This paper was from an older piece from SEI.  The combination of kraft and grey for the background is also another favorite color combo for me.  These are currently my most used neutrals.  The stamps for my title is from Swiss Girl Designs and Lawn Fawn.  I used my own handwriting for the work 'scrapbook' to break up the straight lines.  The wood grain butterfly rub ons are from Studio Calico.  This breaks up the yellow and adds texture without adding bulk.  Then to add interest to the lower portion, I used my new postage punch from Stampin Up in the 3 colors to contrast on the yellow.  I also used a new border punch under my title to tie in the blue color and dress up the title a little bit.  Here's a close up view.
This was fun to put together.  I have already added more content inside this notebook of inspirational layouts, ideas, and sketches from my latest Scrapbooks Etc. magazine.  I like to note what caught my eye, what I like, or what I would like to try out.  I've already found one trend - I like the combination of circles and half circles on a layout with straight lines - I think I like the contrast and how it softens the lines of a layout. 
Do you have a notebook in need of a makeover?  Try it out, you'll be happy you did and you'll have your own *smash* book started to keep your daily memories or inspirations in one place that you'd be proud to use and share.  Until next time, happy stamping and scrapping!
Photobucket

1 comment: