Aug 1, 2011

from sketch to layout

Sketches - yes I have started to use these.  I don't know why I haven't been using these tools that are readily available.  You can find them all over blogs, pages in scrapbook magazines, pinterest, everywhere!  Even another designer's layout can act as a sketch for you - if you decide to 'scrap lift' it. (meaning copying the design concept and changing it as you see for your particular layout needs)  So with sketches you are given a basic guide of placement, but you still have the freedom to design as you wish.  In my scrapbook notebook I have layouts that I like that I've seen in scrapbook magazines.  These I cut out and paste in my notebook.  Sadly, I have not used these references, until now!  =)  I finally opened my notebook, saw a sketch and used it to create a layout.  Here's the sketch.

I had 2 photos and I tend to lean towards clean and simple.  I also like the combination of circles with rectangles.  So with this sketch as a guide, I created this layout.
I tend to follow sketches quite literally, but why not!  They already look nice - so why change it.  I really like these colors of paper from Studio Calico.  I used the same patterned paper to make the circle accents.  I just punched out circles and scallops from the paper and inked up the edges to give a darker tone.  But this way it coordinated perfectly and I didn't have to search for matching paper.  Of course I stamped on this layout.  The text "of" and the 2010 and "something special" on the banners are all stamps from Swiss Girl Designs.  The alphabet letters for "family" and the number 4 are from October Afternoon -I love this font and the colors.   The bitty buttons are from Stampin' Up!  
A clean and simple layout, but I really like how it turned out.  Use those sketches - I know I will be using more from my notebook and putting these to use.  
Thanks for stopping by.  Happy stamping and scrapping!
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment